- Search terms are case-insensitive
- Common words are ignored
- By default only articles containing all terms in the query are returned (i.e., AND is implied)
- Combine multiple words with OR to find articles containing either term; e.g., strategic OR extensive
- Use parentheses to create more complex queries; e.g., game ((strategic OR coalitional) NOT extensive)
- Search for an exact phrase by putting it in quotes; e.g., "strategic game"
- Exclude a word by prefixing it with - or NOT; e.g. game -extensive or game NOT extensive
- Use * in a term as a wildcard to match any sequence of characters; e.g., econom* game would match documents containing "economic" or "economy"